MICaB Graduate Program
Main navigation |
Yuying Liang, Ph.D.
Department of Veterinary Biosciences
University of British Columbia, 2000, Ph.D.
612-625-3376 - office
612-626-2488 - lab
Virus-host interactions of arenavirus and influenza virus
My research interests are focused on the virus-host interactions in the replication and pathogenesis of two RNA viral pathogens, arenaviruses and influenza virus. (1) Arenaviruses such as Lassa fever virus can cause hemorrhagic fevers in humans with limited prophylactic and therapeutic treatments. We are interested in studying the replicative and pathogenic mechanisms of arenaviruses with a particular emphasis placed on the virus-host interactions during viral infections. For these studies, we use various molecular, cellular, and viral systems, as well as a safe and relevant small animal model for Lassa fever that is based on the Pichinde virus infection of guinea pigs. (2) Influenza virus causes annual epidemic infection and the occasional severe pandemics. We are interested in studying the roles of host factors and signaling pathways in flu viral replication with an ultimate goal of developing novel antiviral therapeutics against influenza viral infection
Selected Recent Publications:
(For a comprehensive list of Dr. Liang's recent publications, refer to PubMed, a service provided by the National Library of Medicine.)
- Kumar, N., N. R. Sharma, H. Ly, T. G. Parslow, Y. Liang, 2011. Receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitors that block replication of influenza A and other viruses. Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. 55(12): 5553-5559. PMC Journal – in process.
- Kumar, N., T. G. Parslow, Y. Liang, 2011. Receptor tyrosine kinase inhibitors block multiple steps of influenza A virus replication. J Virol. 85(6):2818-2827. PMCID: PMC3067926.
- Qi, X., S. Lan, W. Wang, L. M. Schelde, H. Dong, G. Wallat, H. Ly*, Y. Liang*, and Changjiang Dong*. 2010. Cap binding and immune evasion revealed by Lassa nucleoprotein. Nature. 468: 779-783. PMCID: PMC3057469 (* co-corresponding authors).
- Liang, Y.*, S. Lan, and H. Ly. 2009. Molecular Determinants of Pichinde Virus Infection of Guinea Pigs - a Small Animal Model System for Arenaviral Hemorrhagic Fevers. Annals NY Acad Sci. 1171 Suppl 1: E65-E74. PMCID: PMC2774822. (*corresponding author)
- Lan, S., L. M. Shelde, J. Wang, N. Kumar, H. Ly*, and Y. Liang*, 2009. Development of infectious clones for virulent and avirulent Pichinde viruses – a model virus to study arenavirus-induced hemorrhagic fevers. J. Virol. 83(13):6357-62. PMCID: PMC2698569. (*corresponding authors)
- Kumar, N., Xin, Z., Liang, Y., H. Ly, and Y. Liang., 2008. NF-kappaB signaling differentially regulates influenza viral RNA synthesis. J. Virol. 82(20):9880-9. PMCID: PMC2566266.