MICaB Graduate Program
Main navigation |
Hinh Ly, Ph.D.
Veterinary and Biomedical Sciences Department
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, 2000, Ph.D.
612-625-3358 - office
612-626-2488 - lab
Lassa fever virus replication and host immune suppression
Lassa fever virus infection can lead to severe and sometime lethal hemorrhagic fever diseases in humans, for which there is no vaccine or effective drug. Studies of Lassa (LASV) and other pathogenic arenaviruses have been hindered by the strict requirement for BSL-4 containment to work with these select agents. We have recently developed an infectious molecular clone for a prototypic BSL2 arenavirus (i.e., Pichinde virus - PICV) as well as a safe and convenient mini-replicon system and a small animal model for LASV. These novel systems have afforded us with unique resources and unprecedented opportunities to investigate in details the processes of viral genome replication/transcription and virulence. We are also interested in characterizing a novel functional mechanism of the Lassa viral nucleoprotein in mediating host innate immune suppression (Qi, et al., 2010, Nature, 468: 779-783). These efforts may lead the development of effective therapeutics against this deadly viral pathogen.
Selected Recent Publications:
- McLay LJ, Liang Y, Ly H. 2013. Comparative analysis of disease pathogenesis and molecular mechanisms of New World and Old World arenavirus infections. J Gen Virol Sep 25. [Epub ahead of print]
- Jiang X, Huang Q, Wang W, Dong H, Ly H*, Liang Y*, Dong C*. 2013. Structures of arenaviral nucleoproteins with triphosphate dsRNA reveal a unique mechanism of immune suppression. J Biol Chem. Jun 7;288(23):16949-59.
- McLay L, Lan S, Ansari A, Liang Y, Ly H. 2013. Identification of virulence determinants within the L genomic segment of the pichinde arenavirus. J Virol. Jun;87(12):6635-43.
- McLay L, Lan S, Ansari A, Liang Y, Ly H. 2013. Targeting virulence mechanisms for the prevention and therapy of arenaviral hemorrhagic fever. Antiviral Res. Feb;97(2):81-92.
- Kumar N, Wang J, Lan S, Danzy S, McLay Schelde L, Seladi-Schulman J, Ly H, Liang Y*. 2012. Characterization of virulence-associated determinants in the envelope glycoprotein of Pichinde virus. Virology. Nov 10;433(1):97-103.
- Wang J, Danzy S, Kumar N, Ly H, Liang Y. 2012. Biological roles and functional mechanisms of arenavirus Z protein in viral replication. J Virol. 2012 Sep;86(18):9794-801.
- Qi X, Lan S, Wang W, Schelde LM, Dong H, Wallat GD, Ly H*, Liang Y*, Dong C*. 2010. Cap binding and immune evasion revealed by Lassa nucleoprotein structure. Nature. Dec 9;468(7325):779-83. (*corresponding authors)
- Liang Y, Lan S, Ly H. 2009. Molecular determinants of Pichinde virus infection of guinea pigs--a small animal model system for arenaviral hemorrhagic fevers. Ann N Y Acad Sci. Sep;1171 Suppl 1:E65-74.