MICaB Graduate Program
Main navigation |
R. Scott McIvor, Ph.D.
Department of Genetics, Cell Biology and Development
University of Minnesota, 1982, Ph.D.
The general research interest of Dr. McIvor's laboratory is gene therapy
for genetic diseases and cancer. Specific research activities include:
(i) Use of recombinant retroviral and lentiviral vectors for gene transfer
into hematopoietic stem cells in the treatment of cancer and inherited
disorders such as immunodeficiency diseases and lysosomal storage diseases;
(ii) Introduction of drug-resistance genes into normal hematopoietic cells
to protect against the toxic side effects of cancer chemotherapy; (iii)
Use of adeno-associated virus for treatment of storage diseases and as
a vector for gene transfer into the central nervous system in the treatment
of neurological disorders; (iv) Adaptation of a novel vertebrate transposon
("Sleeping Beauty") to viral and non-viral delivery systems
for gene therapy.
Selected Recent Publications:
- Aronovich, E.L., B.C. Hall, J.B. Bell, R.S. McIvor, and P.B. Hackett. Quantitative Analysis of α-L-Iduronidase Expression in Immunocompetent Mice Treated with the Sleeping Beauty Transposon System. PLoS One, in press.
- Suksanpaisan, L., L. Pham, S. McIvor, S.J. Russell and K-W Peng. Oral contrast enhances the resolution of in-life NIS reporter gene imaging. Cancer Gene Therapy, in press.
- Janson C.G., L.G. Romanova, P. Leone P, Z. Nan, L. Belur, R.S. McIvor, W. Low. 2013. Comparison of Endovascular and Intraventricular Gene Therapy with AAV5-IDUA for Hurler's Disease. Neurosurgery, in press.
- Gori, J.L., B.C. Beard, N.P. Williams, C. Ironside, D. Swanson, R.S. McIvor, and H.P. Kiem. 2013. In vivo protection of activated Tyr22-dihydrofolate reductase gene-modified canine T lymphocytes from methotrexate. J Gene Med. 15: 233-241.
- Adil, M., L. Belur, R.M. Levine, A.W. Tisdale, R.S. McIvor, and E. Kokkoli. PR_b functionalized stealth liposomes for targeted delivery to metastatic colon cancer. Biomaterials Science 1: 393-401.
- Schuster, D.J., J.A. Dykstra, M.S. Riedl, K.F. Kitto, C.N. Honda, R.S. McIvor, C.A. Fairbanks, and L. Vulchanova. 2013. Visualization of spinal afferent innervation in the mouse colon by AAV8-mediated GFP expression. Neurogastroenterol Motil. 25; e89–e100.
- Filareto, A., S. Parker, R. Darabi, L. Borges, T. Schaaf, T. Mayerhofer, J.S. Chamberlain, J.M. Ervasti, R.S. McIvor, M. Kyba and R.C.R. Perlingeiro. 2013. An ex vivo gene therapy approach to treat muscular dystrophy using iPS cells. Nature Communications 4: 1549.
- Wolf, D.A., A.W. Lenander, Z. Nan, E.A. Braunlin, K.M. Podetz-Pedersen, C.B. Whitley,P. Gupta, W.C. Low, and R.S. McIvor. 2012. Increased longevity and metabolic correction following syngeneic bone marrow transplantation in a murine model of mucopolysaccharidosis type I. Bone Marrow Transplantation 47: 1235-1240.
- Wolf, D.A., L.R. Hanson, Z. Nan, W.C. Low, W.H. Frey II, and R.S. McIvor. 2012. Lysosomal enzyme can bypass the blood-brain barrier and reach the CNS following intranasal Administration. Molecular Genetics and Metabolism 106: 131-134.
- Hyland, K.A., E.R. Olson, K.J. Clark, E.L. Aronovich, P.B. Hackett, B.R. Blazar, J. Tolar, and R.S. McIvor. 2011. Sleeping Beauty-mediated correction of Fanconi anemia type C. Journal of Gene Medicine 13: 462-469.
- Wilber, A, F.U. Montoya, L. Hammer, B.S. Moriarity, A.M. Geurts, D.A. Largaespada, C.M. Verfaillie, R.S. McIvor, and U. Lakshmipathy. 2011. Efficient non-viral integration and stable gene expression in multipotent adult progenitor cells. Stem Cells International, 2011:717069.
- Multhaup, M.M, S. Gurram, K.M. Podetz-Pedersen, A.D. Karlen, D.L. Swanson, N.V. Somia, P.B. Hackett, M.J. Cowan, and R.S. McIvor. 2011. Characterization of the human Artemis promoter by heterologous gene expression in vitro and in vivo. DNA and Cell Biology 30: 751-761.
- Wolf, D.A., A.W. Lenander, Z. Nan, L.R. Belur, C.B. Whitley, P. Gupta, W.C. Low, and R.S. McIvor. 2011. Direct gene transfer to the CNS prevents emergence of neurologic disease in a murine model of mucopolysaccharidosis type I. Neurobiol. Disease 43: 123-133.
- Belur L,R., K.M.Podetz-Pedersen, B.S. Sorenson, A.H. Hsu, J.B. Parker, C.S. Carlson, D.A. Saltzman, S. Ramakrishnan, and R.S. McIvor. 2011. Inhibition of angiogenesis and suppression of colorectal cancer metastatic to the liver using the Sleeping Beauty Transposon System. Mol Cancer 10 (1) 14.